Thursday 16 August 2012

A View From the Other Side of the Hospital Bed


I'm currently typing this article under the influence of some heavy pain killers. I was released yesterday from the hospital, where I had been admitted for the past three days. I'm on bed rest right now and have a surgery scheduled next week.
Now, let me rewind a few days.
Earlier this week, I developed 10/10 (severe) abdominal pain accompanied by nausea, vomiting, chills, and diaphoresis.  To make a long, and miserable story short, I was admitted to a nearby hospital, diagnosed with a ruptured ovarian cyst, placed on morphine for pain control and scheduled for an exploratory laparoscopic surgery.
This was the first time that I had ever been hospitalized, and it happened to be at a hospital at which I worked. As a doctor and an employee, I know that I received more attention and perhaps even better care than the average patient. In spite of this, my experience was far from pleasant, and I had many realizations during my three-day hospitalization. Literally, it was a life-altering experience. I don't have the space here to even scratch the surface of what I discovered from being a patient, but let me try and hit the most important points:

1) Actually talking to a doctor is a rare and brief occurrence. This observation hit me on a profound level. I literally spent about 23 hours and 55 minutes of the day waiting and wanting to speak with my doctor. This was absolutely mind boggling and frankly, annoying. The short period of time that I was allowed to see my doctor was not nearly enough. Most of my questions went unanswered because I forgot them by the time my doctor arrived or my mind was too foggy from the pain meds to succinctly convey my questions. 
2) People don't believe your pain. This realization actually brought me to tears. I remember ringing my nurse call button at 3:00 in the morning. I was shaking because my pain was so intense. I kindly asked my nurse for my PRN (as needed) morphine injection. I could tell by her reaction that she literally did not believe that I was in so much pain. I felt so betrayed. I felt as though she was accusing me of being a drug seeker. And when I showed her my sweat soaked sheets, she brushed it off by saying "it must be your anxiety." I was literally so shaken up by this experience that I started sobbing after she left my room.
3) Being a patient makes you feel absolutely helpless, vulnerable, and at the mercy of everyone around you. When you are connected to your bed by IV lines and monitoring devices and are in so much pain that you can't get out of bed, you actually become the equivalent of a prisoner. Things which you normally take for granted such as using the bathroom, getting a glass of water, finding a tissue to wipe your nose or making a phone call suddenly become monumental tasks. It's an absolutely horrific feeling to become so reliant on others for assistance with everything. As an incredibly active and independent person, I think this may have been the most difficult aspect for me.
I can honestly say that I learned more about what it means to be a patient and how frightening of a place a hospital is in my three days of hospitalization than in my 6 years of medical school and residency. The sense of powerlessness, loss of control, and feelings of being misunderstood are concepts, which I don't think anyone can ever fully comprehend without being on the other side of the hospital bed. I have grown as a physician and as a human being having had this experience. I know that I will never treat a patient the same again for the rest of my medical career. I truly hope that I will remember this experience for the rest of my life, and every time that I care for my patients (people) for the duration of my journey in medicine. I am humbled.
Special courtesy to Kendra Campbell, MD, Psychiatry/Mental Health (The Ink Blot)
**Hope you will get well soon…

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More